Briefly in English

Useful information for young expatriate Finns

Are you a dual citizen and wondering how to retain your Finnish citizenship? Are you living overseas and would like to study in Finland? Or studying at a Finnish college or university and would like to intern overseas? By the way, did you know that various Finnish organizations abroad offer internships? Perhaps you are wondering what kind of qualifications a degree gained in another country will provide when applying for a job or study place in Finland? You will find information about these subjects through the links below. If you need more information, please contact the Finland Society advice service.

Retaining Finnish citizenship at the age of 22

 If you are a dual citizen living overseas, you may lose your Finnish citizenship after turning 22. Finnish citizens who also hold citizenship of another country maintain their Finnish citizenship only if they have sufficient connections with Finland.
You are deemed to have sufficient connections with Finland if you fill one of the following criteria:

More information:

Finnish Immigration Service:
Digital and Population Data Services Agency:

Studying in Finland

In the Opintopolku portal (StudyInfo portal) you will find information on various education alternatives. On the site, you can apply in the Joint Application process for:

– universities of applied sciences (AMK’s) and universities
– high schools, vocational training and vocational teaching colleges

The Finnish Network for International Programmes FINNIPS is a cooperation network formed by 10 Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences (UAS). These Universities of Applied Sciences offer over 40 degree programmes that are fully conducted in English. The main function of the FINNIPS network is to arrange entrance examinations for the UASs’ English-taught degree programmes in countries outside Finland.

If you are applying for university-level studies in English, you will find more information at

If you are not a citizen of an EU or ETA country, or a family member of a citizen of one of those countries, and are coming to Finland to study for an English-language university degree, you must pay a tuition fee. Tuition fees are not charged for degrees taken in Finnish or Swedish.

Are you a Finnish citizen? If not, you may need to acquire a visa or a residence permit or you must register your right to residence in Finland when moving there. Read more on the subject at the website of the Finnish Immigration Service (Migri).

Finnish citizens, as well as citizens of other countries under certain conditions, are entitled for student allowances for studies in Finland. Read more here.

Information about providers of student accommodation is available on the website of the
Suomen opiskelija-asunnot SOA ry . You can also arrange housing independently by searching for rented flats on the open market or on social media:


Conscription in Finland

The civic duty starts at the beginning of the year in which a young man reaches his eighteenth birthday and continues until the end of the year in which he turns sixty. In general, military service is carried out at the age of 19–20.

Foreign citizens who have gained Finnish citizenship and who have carried out the compulsory peacetime military service of his/her former home country, or a portion of if (at least four (4) months) can upon application be exempted from military service in peacetime. Decisions regarding exemption are made by the Regional Offices.

Regarding the conscription of a Finnish citizen who also holds Norwegian, Swedish, Danish or United States of America citizenship, is not liable for military service, nor does he need to carry out service in relation to his liability for military service in Finland during a time when he is considered to be a citizen of a contracting country other than Finland. Persons with multiple nationality living in these contracting countries do not need to apply separately for exemption as the aforementioned agreements apply to them. Persons with multiple nationalities living in the aforementioned contracting countries are encouraged to clarify their own position at the Finnish Embassy, consulate or their own supervisory Regional Office in Finland.

A person liable for military service is not obligated to report for the call-up or military service if he is also a citizen of another country and his place of domicile has been elsewhere than in Finland for the last seven years. Such persons do not need to apply separately for exemption.

An exempted multinational conscript can be ordered into service if he moves to Finland before the end of the year in which he turns 30.

Decisions on exemption as well as agreement interpretations are based on address and citizenship data of the population data system. Therefore it is a good idea to check with the population clerk or mission that your data is correct. In addition, multi-nationals coming from abroad to serve who are 21 years or older, should make sure that they are not about to lose, or have not lost their Finnish citizenship at the age of 22.

More information:

Conscript 2021 – guide for you who are getting prepared for your military service

Follow us in social media

Suomi-Seura on Facebook

Suomi-Seura on Twitter

Suomi-Seura on Instagram

Virta service

Contact information:

Jenny Orphanou
[email protected]
+358 (0)41 7307333

Mon—Tue 10—12 am

Wed—Thu 1—3 pm

Suomi-Seura ry
Mariankatu 8 B
00170 Helsinki

+358 9 684 1210
Our office is open on weekdays between 9 AM and 3 PM Finnish time. 

Suomi-Seura ry

Seniorit maailmalla

Perhe maailmalla